A TODDLER died in flames despite her mother’s desperate efforts to save her after her family’s Christmas tree caught fire.
Ginevra Gioia Manganello, 2 years old, died at the family home on Sicily and it is believed that a short circuit may have started the fire.
Little Ginevra was sleeping in a bed on the top floor of her family home in the historic center of Palma di Montechiaro when the fire broke out.
Her mother and her aunt are on the ground floor and as soon as they realize what is happening, they immediately try to reach her to save her,
But tragically they were hit back by the high flames and were unable to rescue Ginerva.
By the time firefighters had extinguished the flames and smoke, nothing could be done to save the young girl.
The distressing scenes are said to take place in front of the building, with family members and friends trying to support the distraught mother of the child.
Ginevra left behind her two parents, who have not been named, and five siblings after Tuesday night’s tragedy.
Last week, 9 people died after a building collapsed in the town of Ravanusa after a gas explosion, also in the province of Agrigento.
The mayor of Palma di Montechiaro, Stefano Castellino, told local media, “It was a terrible moment – we have just been through the events of Ravanusa, and now we are here to mourn a victim. new.”
It is currently believed that the fire started due to an electrical short in the Christmas tree.
It then spread to the rest of the apartment in the three-story building.
Firefighters are also investigating the possibility of a stove malfunctioning.
The Agrigento Provincial Prosecutor’s Office, led by Luigi Patronaggio, has opened an investigation into the fire.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17127325/girl-dies-family-christmas-tree-caught-fire/ Girl, 2, dies in flames of terror as her family’s Christmas tree catches fire despite her mother’s desperate efforts to save her