A PASSENGER jet that crashed, killing everyone on board, was brought down by the pilot with a cigarette in the cockpit, an inquest has found.
The pilot on board EgyptAir flight MS804 lit a cigarette in the cockpit and ignited oxygen leaking from an emergency mask.
A total of 66 passengers and crew died as the Airbus A320 departed Paris Charles de Gaulle France to Cairo, Egypt in May 2016 crashed in the Mediterranean Sea south of Greek island of Crete mysterious circumstances.
The plane made violent evasive maneuvers before entering a “death spiral” over the Mediterranean Sea.
Among the dead were a Briton, 12 French tourists, 30 Egyptians, two Iraqis and a Canadian.
The dead Briton was named as 40-year-old father-of-two Richard Osmanwhose second daughter was born just three weeks before his tragic death.
After a major search mission involving the US Navy, the The plane’s black box was found in deep water near Greece.
Back then, Egyptian authorities claimed the plane was shot down in a terrorist attackalthough no group takes responsibility.
It was alleged Explosives were found on the bodies of plane crash victimsalthough this was later discredited.
However, an official investigation has revealed that smoke from the pilot’s cigarette accidentally ignited oxygen escaping from an emergency mask.
Egyptian pilots often smoked in the cockpit, and incredibly, at the time of the 2016 crash, the practice wasn’t banned, according to a 134-page report by aviation experts.
The setting on the oxygen mask was switched from normal to emergency by a maintenance technician, the experts said, as reported by the Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera.
This caused the mask to leak oxygen, creating a very volatile situation.
At around 2:25 a.m. on the morning of May 19, investigators discovered a hissing noise made by escaping oxygen just minutes before the passenger jet crashed into the sea.
It is not known why the maintenance technician had put the face mask on the emergency setting.
The expert report was sent to the Court of Appeal in Paris.
We’ve been waiting since 2016 to understand why we lost our loved ones and officially no one told us anything
A veteran pilot said the plane’s captain, Mohamed Said Ali Ali Shoukair, should have spotted the faulty mask before takeoff.
“When we go into the cabin, one of the things we check before takeoff is the oxygen flow in the masks,” Italian pilot Daniele Veronelli told Corriere Della Sera.
“When the switch is in the normal position, the oxygen flow is on demand. When in the emergency setting, oxygen is released at a higher pressure to blow away smoke that could be in the cabin in the event of a fire Plank.”
The report has yet to be published, according to the Italian newspaper.
Mourning relatives have expressed their anger at the news.
Julie Heslouin, who lost her 41-year-old brother and 75-year-old father in the disaster, said: “We have been waiting since 2016 to understand why we lost loved ones and officially no one has told us anything.”
In 2018, the French Civil Aviation Accident Bureau BEA said it was “highly likely…that a fire broke out in the cockpit while the aircraft was flying at its cruising altitude and that the fire spread rapidly, resulting in loss of control of the aircraft.” .
At this point there was no mention of oxygen leaks or pilots smoking in the cabin.
It was reported EgyptAir flight may have crashed due to smartphone overheating.
A source from France’s aviation probe, according to Le Parisien newspaper, suggested there could be a “disturbing parallel” between where the cockpit fire started and where the co-pilot left his iPhone.
Separate claims in 2017 claimed the Pilot’s iPad may have caught fireigniting the deadly fire that brought down the jet.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18384918/egyptair-plane-crash-caused-lit-cigarette-cockpit/ Flight that crashed and killed 66 people was caused by pilot’s CIGARETTE, investigation has revealed