All UK adults could be offered a booster shot within weeks, as experts consider opening up a third jab for all over-18s.
A decision from the Joint Committee on Immunizations and Immunizations (JCVI) to extend the program and cut the gap to the second post-dose booster could be made as early as Monday.
It is expected that millions more people will be provided with boosters under emergency measures to limit the spread of the new variant of Omicron.
JCVI vice-president Professor Anthony Harnden said extending the age range for boosters and reducing the gap between the second and third doses was ‘a sensible strategy’, in a seemingly important suggestion about decisions may be made.
He told BBC Radio House’s Broadcasting 4 that adults aged 18 to 39 should expect third stabs to be offered to them ‘sooner than we had previously expected’.
Currently, Britons have to wait six months from their second dose for a booster shot – but that figure could be shortened to five.
However, doing so overnight – especially if those under 40 are also eligible – can cause logistical problems, with millions suddenly being able to book tickets for the third time.
And many experts have long suggested that people in the developing world – many of whom have not received a single vaccine – have a much greater need than Britons getting vaccinated. dual.
The JCVI is also looking into whether a second dose should be given to children aged 12 to 15 years.
Whitehall sources hope that the announcement could be made on Monday – but it cannot be ruled out on Tuesday.
It comes as the Government is scrambling to respond to the new strain of Covid-19, which scientists fear could be more infectious and could reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine.
More data is needed before either possibility can be confirmed, but there is widespread alarm among scientists.
Teachers and students aged 7 and up are now ‘recommended’ to wear face masks in common areas outside classrooms in the UK, and face coverings will also be back to mandatory on transport. public transport and in stores as of Tuesday.
Isolation rules will go back on international visitors until they receive a negative PCR test result, with 10 South African countries added to the red list.
Close contacts of positive Omicron cases have been asked to isolate for 10 days even if they have been immunized under another emergency measure announced over the weekend.
Britain will also convene an emergency meeting of G7 health ministers on Monday to discuss the variant.
So far, three confirmed cases of Omicron have been detected in the UK – but experts fear many more will be discovered in the coming days.
Third person infected with Omicron variant identified in UK
But Health Secretary Sajid Javid insisted that families should plan for a ‘great’ Christmas as usual’, adding that it was a ‘never close’ time to reintroduce services. social distancing rules and guidelines for working from home.
But Mr Javid acknowledged that passengers who flew in from southern Africa before the new red list was confirmed had not been tested upon landing and they may have taken public transport to get home.
The new measures are expected to buy time for scientists to better understand Omicron as ministers announce the NHS is delivering more vaccines each day.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the bulk of the ‘temporary and precautionary’ measures on Saturday, pledging they would be reviewed in three weeks.
About 17.5 million people have now received a third booster dose.
Contact our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check out our news page.
Get your latest must-know news, great stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/29/booster-rollout-set-to-be-expanded-with-every-uk-adult-offered-third-jab-15680228/ Every UK adult is offered a third shot to fight the super mutant Omicron