Local

Durham Borough calls for action after 8 people were shot dead and 2 killed in weekend shootings

blank

DURHAM, NC (WNCN) – There have been four shootings in Durham since Friday, resulting in eight people being shot dead and two of those people dead.

On Friday, two people were injured in two separate shootings during the day. Police said a man was injured in a shooting in the 1500 block of Holloway Street just before 2:15 p.m. Friday, but he is expected to be fine.

The other shooting that same afternoon occurred just after 3 p.m. at the Sheetz on North Duke Street, where a woman sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Around 1:30am Saturday morning, Durham Police said three people had been shot dead on the 3000 block of Auto Drive outside Luna nightclub.

Authorities said this started with a fight at the nightclub that eventually spread to the streets.

Police said 22-year-old Daniel Slack died at the scene and two other men sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Later that day around 7:30 p.m., three other people were shot dead at a Circle K gas station at the intersection of Woodcroft Parkway and Fayetteville Road.

At the scene, you could see where the front glass door had been blasted out, and police told CBS 17 that between 30 and 40 rounds were fired in the parking lot.

Police said 21-year-old Tylen Baldwin died at the scene and two other men sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Police have not said what led to this shooting.

Also, the Durham County Sheriff’s Office said around 9:30 p.m. Saturday night that an unmarked vehicle manned by two police officers was hit by gunfire near the intersection of Keystone Place and Dearborn Drive at Oxford Manor. Squats in the area were also hit, but DCSO officials said no one was hurt.

Jemillia McCLain lives at Oxford Manor with her three-year-old daughter Victoria, and she was at home when the shooting happened on Saturday night.

“That night it was the loudest and closest thing I’ve ever heard,” McClain said.

She said there was an ongoing problem with shootings in her neighborhood and she would like to see more police patrolling the area.

“I don’t think anyone, no matter where they live, should have to deal with that kind of gun violence and threats,” McClain said. “This is preventive, if it’s a high priority from what I’ve heard then action should be taken.”

The last time Durham Mayor and Police Commissioner held a press conference on the gun violence issue was December 13.

Mayor Elaine O’Neal said she was working on a crime prevention plan.

“One of the things that I think we need to do is be able to quantify the number of young people who need different resources,” O’Neal said during the press conference. “I hope to come up with a plan within the first 100 days of my tenure.”

It’s been almost 120 days since that press conference, and CBS 17 emailed Mayor O’Neal Monday for an update on the crime prevention plan, but we haven’t received a response.

Durham City officials have previously said the Durham Police Department has a central police unit focused on solving violent crimes in the city.

In January 2021, Durham City Council members voted to expand Durham County’s Violence Response Program, adding 18 more positions so they can act as mediators and prevent more shootings in more parts of the city.

CBS 17 has reached out to Durham County to find out how many of those 18 new positions are currently filled, but we’re still awaiting feedback.

In addition, the city is establishing a municipal security department that will include dispatching unarmed responders to mental health calls around the city so police officers can focus more on violent crimes.

Mayor O’Neal has also said in recent months that she is working behind the scenes to stop gun violence.

But she said she wouldn’t speak to the media about that effort because she didn’t want to jeopardize the relationships she’s building in the community.

Since the December 13 press conference in Durham, a further 79 people have been shot dead and 12 of those people have died.

CBS 17 on Monday asked Durham Mayor Pro Tem Mark-Anthony Middleton if the city plans to do anything new or different in response to the four recent shootings that left eight people dead.

“It can’t be reactionary,” Middleton said. “We know it ultimately comes down to front-end initiatives.”

Middleton said that in the upcoming budget they are considering funding ShotStpotter, a gunshot detection technology that automatically dispatches officers to scenes as soon as shots are detected.

He concluded by saying that they are considering funding more programs that give young people more job opportunities.

CBS 17 has also reached out to the Durham Police Department for comment on the recent shooting, but no one was available to speak to us.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/durham-county-news/durham-community-demands-action-after-8-people-shot-2-killed-in-weekend-shootings/ Durham Borough calls for action after 8 people were shot dead and 2 killed in weekend shootings

DUSTIN JONES

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button