Local

Dental drill removed from patient’s lungs by Duke Health after accidentally inhaling it

DURHAM, NC (WNCN) — A two-centimeter drill bit came loose during a patient’s dental procedure. And ended up in the lungs of a Duke Health patient.

To make matters worse, the bit, sharp on one end, was accidentally inhaled “very far into his right lung,” Duke Health said in a post Wednesday.

An interventional pulmonologist at Duke Health, Dr. Momen Wahidi, performed a procedure called a bronchoscopy to remove it. Given the size and sharpness of the bit, removing it from the patient’s lungs was a delicate procedure.

dr Wahili was successful and Duke Health said the patient was “thrilled to avoid losing part of his lung.”

The patient was told before this procedure that this object could not be removed without surgery.

  • blank
  • blank

According to Duke, a similar case happened in Illinois last month.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/durham-county-news/dental-drill-bit-removed-from-duke-health-patients-lung-after-he-accidentally-inhaled-it/ Dental drill removed from patient’s lungs by Duke Health after accidentally inhaling it

DUSTIN JONES

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button