A member of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new cast Cinderella has gone viral after sharing a TikTok of the moment she told her mum she’s taking part in the now-ending show.
On Sunday (May 1), it was announced that Webber and Emerald Fennell’s original musical, starring Carrie Hope Fletcher, would end on June 12, less than a year after its premiere.
No reason was given for the show’s end at the Gillian Lynne Theater but the original cast were due to complete their run in July, with a new ensemble taking over.
A new cast member was actress Daisy Blanche Twells, who would make her West End debut as a member of the ensemble and first cover for stepsisters Adele and Marie.
Cinderella was the first West End production by Twells to have recently performed on the UK tour heatherhad reached the recall stage for .
The actor had created a TikTok video to celebrate the moment she landed the role, including a screen capture of her mother Caroline crying in shock via FaceTime as a cover of Hilary Duff’s What Dreams Are Made Of was played became.
However, after the show was cancelled, Twells posted the clip on TikTok, where it went viral, sparking a wave of support from her followers, who described the situation as “shocking” and “heartbreaking.”
Explaining what happened on social media, Twells claimed she only found out she wasn’t going to show up Cinderella via press release.
“This was a dream come true for me and yesterday everything was taken away within seconds,” she wrote. “I and many others in the current and future cast have learned through a press release that the show is ending.
“As you can probably imagine, this is the most devastating thing to hear afterwards [accepting] Sign a contract and plan the next year financially and logistically! This is something I wanted and have worked so hard for, not just in the last 5 years since graduating but since I was a little girl.”
Twells continued, “With rehearsals set to begin next month, I’ve spent almost every day looking for a place to stay and preparing for this massive next step in my life! I spent weeks traveling back and forth from London for 6 laps [of auditions] and put all my energy into a contract I only dreamed of!
“I’m just really upset at how something was handled that could have been approached differently. Thank you to everyone who has already reached out and given me nothing but love and well wishes. It definitely helps with healing, but hopefully a change is coming.”
Other members of the new cast also claimed they found out via social media, as the announcement was made on a bank holiday Sunday when many agents weren’t checking their email.
Actress Summer Strallen, who was originally set to replace Rebecca Trehearn as Queen, said she found out the show was ending after a friend sent her one WhatsOnStage Article announcing the news.
Strallen said she was signed for a year Cinderella for the last two months. “I was basically fired from social media,” she said in a video shared on Instagram.
A spokesman for Lloyd Webber said The Independentst that the current cast had been notified on Sunday after their matinee performance and that reports given to them minutes before taking the stage were “inaccurate”.
“Every effort has been made to ensure the news gets out as widely as possible as quickly as possible, but we obviously had to act quickly when the news broke on social media,” they said.
The Independent has contacted Lloyd Webber representatives for further comment.
Equity, the cast’s union, called the show’s closure an “insensitive attack on the dignity of the Cinderella company” and said that employees must be compensated.
Lloyd Webber has hinted that the show will open on Broadway in March 2023.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/cinderella-cancelled-tiktok-daisy-blanche-twells-b2071192.html Cinderella: ‘Heartbreaking’ TikTok of actor telling his mother she’s attending a now-cancelled musical goes viral