Local

Biden administration releases previously classified JFK assassination documents

The Biden administration has released a series of secret documents that some historians – and conspiracy theorists – hope could shed light on the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy. 10,000 or more partially edited or retained in its entirety. It is expected to prolong the fierce debate between the federal government and JFK researchers, who have argued that the CIA, FBI and other national security agencies have repeatedly impeded the discovery. at the request of the National Assembly. The gun could fundamentally change the public’s understanding of the circumstances surrounding Kennedy’s death – and historians argue, the gun could exist elsewhere. restore confidence in government operations. Opinion polls have long shown that a majority of Americans do not believe the Warren Commission’s official conclusion that Kennedy was killed by a man, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone. In October, President Joe Biden delayed the scheduled release to “protect from identifiable harm to intelligence operations, military defense, law enforcement, or conduct foreign relations to a greater extent than the public interest in immediate disclosure.” , 2022, to allow the remaining documents to undergo a rigorous confidentiality review and thereafter to be announced. to do on Wednesday will be more important than the release of the document – and in fact, an important step towards transparency. for each such record, the reasons the agency is proposing to further delay the information contained in that filing, “per Biden’s October order. That order requires that such indexes be made public with with the remaining documents in 2022. “President Biden’s memo reinforces the rigorous standards established by Congress and requires agencies to follow a strict deadline and well-structured process.” “, Ezra Cohen, chair of the Public Interest Taxonomy Committee, a bipartisan advisory board whose members are appointed by the president and Congress, said in a statement. “The PIDB’s expectation is, A year from now, most of the records currently on hold will be declassified and available to the public. Researchers are frustrated with the Biden administration’s approach. Larry Schnapf, an attorney and assassination researcher, announced Tuesday night that he intends to sue Biden for failing to fully release the records. “We will be seeking a court order directing the President to release any remaining records or disclose specific identifiable harm caused by each document seeking deferral and the manner in which that alleged harm was made. outweighed the strong public interest in the release of these files, which Schnapf wrote in an email to reporters on Tuesday denied, said former CIA officer David Priests, author of “The President’s Book of Secr” is “more and more unlikely” but it’s “possible” that a CIA source from that time is still alive and in danger of being exposed, Priess said. “It could be that there’s a source out there who’s still in power or still Priess says. “Now, you have to balance that with the historical interest and the compelling public interest here.” In 1992, Congress passed the John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Act, in part due to the outrage caused by the Oliver Stone conspiracy film “JFK.” The Act provides that all assassination records The investigation had to be publicly disclosed by October 2017, but Trump and now Biden have authorized the postponement several times on the advice of the FBI, CIA and other national security agencies. Trump ended up releasing tens of thousands of documents, the majority of which included at least some transactions. National Archives – 15,834 documents were previously released but including reprints and 520 documents were retained in their entirety. Most of those documents were tax records, including Oswald’s tax returns, according to the Archives. Those records are specifically exempt from the JFK records act.

The Biden administration has released a series of secret documents that some historians – and conspiracy theorists – hope may shed light on the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

You can Read the document here.

The release of nearly 1,500 documents still resulted in more than 10,000 documents being partially redacted or completely withheld. It is expected to prolong the fierce debate between the federal government and JFK researchers, who have argued that the CIA, FBI and other national security agencies have repeatedly obstructed Congress. forced release.

Longtime JFK researchers say a release likely to not include a smoking gun will dramatically change the public’s understanding of the circumstances surrounding Kennedy’s death – and historians No gun can exist elsewhere, they argue.

But for many legislators and transparency advocates, the release of all remaining documents, authorized by Congress in 1992, is about restoring confidence in the functioning of government. . Opinion polls have long shown that a majority of Americans do not believe the Warren Commission’s official finding that Kennedy was killed by one man, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.

“Because it took [the government] An official familiar with classification concerns related to these documents said:

In October, President Joe Biden delayed the scheduled release to “protect against identifiable harm to the military, intelligence, law enforcement, or relational conduct foreign affairs beyond the public interest when immediately disclosed.”

He set two deadlines: Wednesday, for any documents not recommended by the national security agencies to be kept, and December 15, 2022, to allow remaining documents to go through a period of review. rigorous security review and then released.

Some transparency advocates argue that another filing the government is expected to make on Wednesday will be more important than the release of the document – and, in fact, a crucial step for the government. with transparency.

Agencies that wish to continue withholding specific documents beyond December 2022 are scheduled to provide the White House with “an unclassified index that identifies each such record the rationale for which the agency is recommending further deferred the information in that filing,” according to Biden’s October order. That order stipulates that those indexes must be made public with the rest of the documents by 2022.

“President Biden’s memo reinforces the rigorous standards established by Congress and keeps agencies under a rigorous timeline and well-structured process,” said Ezra Cohen, chair of the committee. public interest category, a bipartisan advisory board whose members are appointed by the president and by Congress. , said in a statement.

“PIDB’s expectation is that, one year from now, most of the records currently on hold will be declassified and available to the public.”

Researchers Disappointed with Biden Governance Approach

But even before Wednesday’s release, longtime assassination researchers had expressed frustration with the Biden administration’s patchwork approach. Larry Schnapf, an attorney and assassination researcher, announced Tuesday night that he intends to sue Biden for failing to release the full dossier.

Schnapf previously sued for internal government communications that underpinned the decision behind the successive postponements of both former Presidents Donald Trump and Biden.

“We will be seeking a court order directing the President to release the remaining records or disclose the specific identifiable harm caused by each document seeking deferral and the manner in which that alleged harm is exceeded. There is strong public interest in the release of these filings, which were supposed to be released on October 26, 2017,” Schnapf wrote in an email to reporters on Wednesday. Three.

Since many of the documents mentioned relate to covert intelligence operations during the Cold War, there are theoretically good reasons why classified information dating back to the 1960s should be withheld. CIA agent David Priess, author of “The President’s Book of Secrets,” said.

Priess said it was “increasingly unlikely” but “possibly” that a CIA source from that time was still alive and at risk of being leaked.

“It is possible that there is a source that is still in power or is still directly connected to someone that would jeopardize intelligence collection today,” said Priest. “Now, you have to strike a balance between historical interest and the compelling public interest here.”

In 1992, Congress passed the John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act, in part due to the outrage caused by Oliver Stone’s conspiracy film “JFK”.

The act requires that all assassination records be publicly released by October 2017, but Trump and now Biden have authorized multiple postponements on the advice of the FBI, CIA and security agencies. Other countries. Trump ended up releasing tens of thousands of documents, the majority of which included at least some transactions.

Video above: Historian says there is no “bombshell” in JFK articles released in 2017

As of Wednesday, more than 90% of the records had been released, according to the National Archives – 15,834 documents had been previously released but including re-transactions and 520 documents were withheld in their entirety. Most of those documents were tax records, including Oswald’s tax returns, according to the Archives. Those records are specifically exempt from the JFK records act.

https://www.kcra.com/article/biden-administration-releases-previously-classified-jfk-assassination-documents/38527831 Biden administration releases previously classified JFK assassination documents

JOE HERNANDEZ

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button