Local

7 people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Summit County

SUMMIT COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR.

Summit Fire & EMS found seven people at a home with carbon monoxide poisoning, with symptoms of headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and confusion.

Medics took three people to St. Anthony’s Summit, the remaining 4 people went to the hospital by private car. All have been treated and are expected to make a full recovery.

According to Summit Fire, a faulty furnace caused the leak, and the house did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

“Simple CO detectors can be a lifesaver,” said Summit Fire & EMS Director and fire governor Kim McDonald, “Every home should have them – one on each floor of their home and preferably near utility rooms, household appliances such as furnaces or clothes dryers. ”

Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer,” a leak that is undetectable to the human senses.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, headache, abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, confusion, and chest pain. Hundreds of people die each year in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials say about 50,000 people will undergo an emergency due to the poison.

Deadly gas can be produced when running cars, furnaces, kerosene heaters, gas stoves, and even burning wood.

Every home should have carbon monoxide detectors strategically placed throughout the home.

Summit Fire & EMS offers smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors at no cost to residents who cannot afford one, call (970) 262-5100 to pick up one.

Professional safety checks should be carried out on your appliances, especially furnaces and gas stoves, on a regular basis. Air filters should be changed before seasonal use and regularly during long-term use.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more information about online carbon monoxide safety guide.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/7-treated-for-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-in-summit-county/ 7 people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Summit County

Emma Bowman

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button