WINSTON-SALEM, NC (WGHP) — Three men face dozens of charges in connection with burglaries at businesses in several counties and are accused of stealing approximately $285,000 worth of property, according to a news release from the Winston-Salem Police Department .
In December 2021, Winston-Salem Police, the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office and the Stokes County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Department began investigating a series of shop burglaries and thefts spanning three jurisdictions.
Several businesses were targeted over a three-month period with an estimated $285,000 in stolen property and estimated property damage of $50,000.
Affected companies included Genmaire Distributors, Scarlette’s Performance and Parts, Tee Time Sports and Spirits, Ego Hour, Sam’s Club, Schiffman’s Jewelers, Sungate Minimart, Mossy’s Sports and Spirits, Fish Hut Arcade, Andy’s Food Mart and Kountry Corner.
During the investigation, detectives said they were able to link the burglaries to three people:
- Donald Wayne McGee, 45, of Clemmons
- Bobby Joe Tilley, 42, of Kernersville
- Harley Dale Shinault, 40, from Tabaccoville
Police say the suspects entered the stores by either prying open the doors or breaking the glass.
Once inside, they would steal money, jewelry, car parts, poker machines, ATMs and other miscellaneous items, officials said.
At 5:09 am on March 11, Winston-Salem Police initiated a vehicle stop on a white Nissan Titan on West Clemmonsville Road.
McGee and Tilley were in the vehicle. McGee presented the officer with false identification and Tilley had an outstanding warrant, according to a press release.
Both men were arrested by patrol officers.
Investigators from all agencies involved were able to question both suspects and charge both of them with multiple offences.
On March 31, the US Marshal Service’s Regional Fugitive Task Force found and arrested Shinault at Rural Hall.
McGee is on $70,000 bail and was charged with:
- eight cases of burglary and burglary
- seven cases of theft after burglary and burglary
- a count of crime theft
- a count of an officer’s resistance/delay/obstruction offense
- a charge of negligent damage to property
- a census of illicit methamphetamine trafficking
- a count of the felony possession of a schedule II (cocaine)
- one count of the felony simple possession of a Schedule II (oxycodone)
- a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia
Tilley is on $10,000 bail and has been charged with:
- three cases of burglary and burglary
- two cases of theft after burglary and burglary
Shinault is on $1,250,000 bail and was charged with:
- five cases of burglary and burglary
- four cases of theft after burglary and burglary
- two cases of property damage
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are pending.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to call the Winston-Salem Police Department at (336) 773-7700, Crime Stoppers at (336) 727-2800 or En Espanol (336) 728-3904. You can also check out Crime Stoppers of Winston-Salem Forsyth County on Facebook.
https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-carolina-news/3-stole-285000-during-nc-store-break-in-spree-at-11-businesses-officials-say/ 3 stole $285,000 during a break-in at NC stores that targeted 11 companies, officials say